For those of you who are interested….
One of the main reasons I wanted to move over to my own servers here was so that I could take advantage of the All-In-One SEO Pack. This is a great WordPress plugin that allows for the direct management of how a blog is presented to the public in terms of the all-important “META” information. If I had been using SEO when I wrote some of the rice-bowling stuff, the former incarnation of the otherwhirled might well have been entirely overwhelmed with visitors searching for nude photos of Condoleezza Rice. But getting hits isn’t the only reason to use the All-In-One SEO Pack. Helping channel users to the exact content they’re looking for is actually a good thing. What could be more annoying than doing a search on black women in politics and winding up getting a suggestive photoshop hack of Condoleezza in a bathtub? eek!
Well, okay, a lot of things could be worse than that, but I’m sure you get the point.
I also wanted better control of the format of links to comments and trackbacks, which I’m using the aptly-named Get Recent Comments plugin for. And which I’ll probably be tweaking over the next few weeks, lol.
And then there was server space. I’m an ambitious bastard, and even though I had only used 12% of my 50Mb allotment on the public WordPress, I could easily read the writing on the wall.
There are some other plugins I’ve been itching to try. I tried a few, and they were unfortunately programmed in such a way that made the site run slower than molasses in January with its shoes tied together. I mean, like, I could write over-bloated ColdFusion code that runs faster. So, I’ll spare you such as those and leave the experimentation to late at night so that I won’t impact anyone.
The snarkery will resume this afternoon. Peace to you all.
Previous Search Engine Shenanigans:
I’m always amused by simple things. In this case, it’s the words being used to find this here little blog thingy. Forthwith:
As has become customary, I am dispensing with the searches on various spellings of Condoleezza Rice, nude or clothed, spelled properly or not. I truly worry about some of you. I am pleased to say, however, that of late, searches on our lovely Madame Secretary from Hell have been down-trending. Searches by photographer name are way up, however, which I always find interesting.
- assured way to find rockhopper ~ this links SES III, and i am pleased to announce that in a google search, the otherwhirled comes in at an unexpected third. not bad!
- biguns ~ okay, i quit looking after the fifth page. let’s face it: if you’re on the Intertubes searching for “biguns” and you haven’t had your fill in five or more pages of search results, you seriously need to put down the Mountain Dew and exit your parents’ basement.
- lovedoll laura soft ~ i thought that said “laura croft” for a minute there, and i was like “SCHWEEET”, but alas….again, however, i feel i should point out that if you’re on the Intertubes searching for “love dolls” and you haven’t had your fill in five or more pages of search results, please immediately shove as many cheetos as possible into every available orifice.
- sailing takes me away ~ ah, my diabolical plan to hijack one legitimate web search seems to have worked. oooh….and actually, i hijacked three! w00t!
- Theocratic Law ~ my curiosity petered out after the ninth page, but this obviously goes to my Blog Against Theocracy stuff.
- diamondbacks logo ~ i’ve never posted one, so that’s kind of weird, but i did long ago snark on a Diamondbacks player, so i assume that’s what comes up for this one….somewhere after the tenth page of search results.
- perverts are us ~ yeah, well…go figure. they must really be looking for Dr. von Monkerstein. him and those adopted actresses….
- MANE, SEARCH ENGINES ~ surprisingly, i come up at the top of the second page on this one. better than i would have thought!
- intelligence is relative ~ w00t! another third-place posting. i wonder if this searcher realizes that relatives are not necessarily intelligent, though?
- lolcons ~ yeah, i know they annoy some people. they annoy me when overdone as well. that’s why i try not to overdo them. i place fourth here, unless you count the return for the wordpress lolcons tag, at which point i’m numero tres! again!
- ginzo of tokyo knives ~ oi….vey. fourth? eesh.
- Men who look crazy ~ Bing! Quit searching for yourself! you know where you are! (you too, Crow!) however, it should be noted that i am apparently number one among men who look crazy! w00-h00!!!
- ya’ll politics. ~ that’s a good way to put it. third place!
- ah m ~ i’ll happily take 5th place here behind Dependable Renegade.
- dementia test, humor ~ i couldn’t find it. whatever.
- the ironoclast ~ yes, yes our littlest chimperator certainly is! at least i’m on the first page with this one!
- She was a good ship ~ yeah but could you row her? oddly, i’m numero uno here, too!
- the other whirled ~ somebody (apparently two people or one person twice) loves me. i’m sure the extra space is just for flavor. naturally, i am number one here, too!
fun, fun, fun. thought i’d throw in the search rankings this time instead of cross-linking posts that i have to go delete all the ping-backs for. so, there you have it: a few things that bring people to the otherwhirled. i don’t know what brings you to the otherwhirled, but thanks for stopping by!
o, by the way, the new domain name has been secured. i would imagine that you can imagine what it’ll be. i’ll hopefully be moving off next week already!